Ellie Vilendrer is a Martindale Hubbell AV-rated attorney and founder of Vilendrer Law, PC, a law firm serving a wide range of regional, national, and international businesses in the areas of commercial dispute resolution, business transactions, intellectual property protection, data privacy, and employment law.
Ms. Vilendrer serves as Co-Chair of the Early Dispute Resolution Committee of the American Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section. She is also the founder of Thrivir Corp, a company focused on providing negotiation training, coaching, and mediation. Demonstrating she can put theory to practice, Ms. Vilendrer achieved the best outcome in a scored negotiation among 60 professional negotiators from around the world in 2015. Her family’s award-winning video promoting peace was broadcasted at the United Nations on November 6, 2019. It was also an Official Selection at the International Peace & Film Festival (2020).
Ms. Vilendrer served as Co-Founder of Hitsfu Corp, an Artificial Intelligence-powered predictive analytics platform for apps, from 2014-2018. In 2016, her high-tech company earned a distinguished top-10 semi-finalist placement in the high-tech division of the MN Cup, from over 200 high-tech division applicants and over 1500 applicants overall.
Ms. Vilendrer is the co-author of the privacy law chapter in the Representing the Ongoing Business Deskbook, 3rd Edition (2019, Minnestoa CLE) and a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).
Acquisitions & Notable Transactional Representations
- Served as Intellectual Property counsel to publicly-traded medical tech company.
- Represented biological sciences company in its acquisition by manufacturing company.
- Represented medical device testing company in its acquisition by materials testing company.
- Represented shareholder in contested sale of his industrial grade concrete grinding and polishing equipment company.
Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Successfully represented Malaysia-based app development company in international licensing dispute
- Represented majority interest holder (defendant) of gaming company in dispute over intellectual property ownership; negotiated dismissal of claims.
- Negotiated amicable dissolution and buy-out of business consulting partnership.
- Represented member in LLC dispute; Negotiated amicable dissolution and buy-out of production company.
- Represented employer in dispute for unpaid wages; resulting in employee dropping claims.
- Represented marketing company against trademark infringement claims; obtained settlement payment from claimant.
Commercial Litigation & Trials
- Represented Dubai-based distribution companies in multi-million dollar international commercial dispute. Litigated at London Court of International Arbitration. Obtained payment of damages through negotiated settlement.
- Represented contractor (plaintiff) in lawsuit for breach of contract, breach of oral guarantee, and fraud; obtained unanimous verdict by 11-member jury in client’s favor on all counts, and entitlement to costs and punitive damages.
- Obtained summary dismissal of defendant client in a complex multi-million dollar class-action lawsuit alleging breach of fiduciary duties.
- Represented insured (plaintiff) in lawsuit against insurance company; negotiated 7-figure settlement for client.
- Represented employee against current employer for claim of unpaid sales commissions. Recovered $430,000, consisting of 97% of requested commissions, plus payment of attorneys’ fees, through very early settlement.
- Represented testing company in breach of contract dispute with customer; negotiated settlement.
- Successfully represented minority interest holder in LLC dispute with other members of medical device company.
Certificate, Harvard Law School (2015)
- Advanced Negotiation Master Class (Executive Education at Program on Negotiation)
Juris Doctor, Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School (2007)
- UCLA School of Law visiting student
- Research Assistant, Business Associations
- Education Chair, International Human Rights Association
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, University of Southern California (2004)
- Concentration in Corporate Finance
- Track & Cross-Country team member
- USC Representative to PAC-10 student-athlete conference
- Chess Club member
Bachelor of Arts in French, University of Southern California (2004)
- Pi Delta Phi, National French Honor Society member
- Diploma of Business French I, Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Paris
- Certificate of Professional French, Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Paris
- Study Abroad, Université de la Sorbonne
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- Qualified Neutral, Rule 114 Minnesota General Rules of Practice
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)
Professional working proficiency in Persian and French
- Invited Panelist, Achieving Gender Parity in Tech (OC Tech Happy Hour, March 19, 2019)
- Invited Guest Lecturer, Advising the Start-up Entrepreneur (Corporate Institute at University of Minnesota School of Law, November 1, 2017)
- Invited TV Talk Show Guest, Entrepreneurship & Corporate Law (Law Talk, July 18, 2017)
- Invited International Radio Show Guest, Entrepreneurship, Corporate Law, & Dispute Resolution (Johnny Mandolin Show, June 5, 2017)
- Invited National Presenter, Essential Negotiation Strategies to Optimize Outcomes, (Clear Law Institute, February 14, 2017)
- Invited National Presenter, Become a Better Negotiator in 60 Minutes, (American Law Institute, November 16, 2015)
- National Presenter, Negotiating by Persuasion: The Art of Deal Making (Legal Expert Series: Advancing and Protecting Your Business, October 15, 2014)
- Invited National Presenter, Negotiating by Persuasion: The Art and Ethics of Deal Making (Commercial Law Web Advisor, April 8, 2014)
- Written Materials, Allina Medical Staff Leader Training (September 12, 2012)
- Invited Presenter, Mock Trial: Minnesota Society for Healthcare Risk Management Spring Seminar (June 3, 2011)
- Invited National Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: 360 Flex (March 8, 2010)
- Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Los Angeles Flash (January 20, 2010)
- Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Orange County Flex (December 3, 2009)
- Presenter, What Every Multimedia Professional Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Orange County Multimedia Association (November 17, 2009)
- How to Negotiate Effectively: Avvo (2009)
- How to Win a Negotiation: Corporate Counsel (June 19, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: The Legal Intelligencer (June 26, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: ACQ Magazine (June 23, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: Texas Lawyer (June 20, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: LawSpirit.com (June 2013)
- A Year in Review, Appellate Court Allows Claims for Breach of the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Breach of Contract Based on the Same Conduct: Bassford Bulletin, Insurance Coverage (January 28, 2013)
- Essential Provisions in Employee Handbooks: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation Agreements: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Distinguishing Between an Employee and an Independent Contractor: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Protecting Your Brand: What CEOs Need to Know About Trademark Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- A Primer on Copyright Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Increase the Value of Your Business by Protecting Your Trade Secrets: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Introducing Minnesota’s New Public Benefit Corporation: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Distinctions Between California Entities and Implications of Choice: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- The Five Main Causes of Conflict and How Mediation Can Resolve Them: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- An Introduction to Securities Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Registering an Assumed Name: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Starting a Business in Minnesota, Choosing a Form to Maximize Value: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- An Introduction to Business Taxes: Linkedin Pulse (March 13, 2015)
- The Basics of Business Insurance: Protecting Your Business from Liability, Loss, and Litigation: Linkedin Pulse (March 13, 2015)
- Four Surprising Strategies to Optimize Business Outcomes: Linkedin Pulse (March 18, 2015)
- What Every Entrepreneur Should Know About Contracts for Sales of Goods: Linkedin Pulse (July 16, 2015)
- Board Governance Best Practices: Linkedin Pulse (July 29, 2015)
- Making Ethical Decisions: Why Businesses Should Avoid Taking Short Cuts: Linkedin Pulse (October 12, 2015)
- Year-End Business Checklist: Linkedin Pulse (December 15, 2015)
- The Three Best Strategies to Prevent Conflict at Your Holiday Gathering: Linkedin Pulse (December 18, 2015)
- The Most Important Lesson I Learned as a Litigator: Linkedin Pulse (December 21, 2015)
- Minnesota Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act Makes Significant Changes to Minnesota LLC Law: Linkedin Pulse (October 24, 2017)
- Co-Author of Privacy Law Primer (chapter in Representing the Ongoing Business Deskbook, 3rd Edition) (2019)
- Lawsuits Against Website Owners Over Disability Discrimination Skyrocket: Linkedin Pulse (April 5, 2019)
- Nurturing Business Relationships in the Covid–19 Era: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- Mediation, a Superior Dispute Resolution Mechanism: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- International Commercial Mediation: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- The Model Standards of Conduct for Mediators: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- Mediator Diversity: Vilendrer Law, PC (April 2020)
- The Importance of Mediation Skills: Vilendrer Law, PC (April 2020)
- Produced award-winning short film; Peace in the Streets Global Film Festival (2019) and International Peace & Film Festival Official Selection (2020)
- AV Preeminent® rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- The West Coast’s Top Rated lawyers, ALM (2018)
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star (2016 – 2020)
- Top Attorney, The Top 100 Magazine (2020)
- Top Rated Litigators, Legal Leaders (2020)
- Women in Law Award – Labor & Employment, Lawyer Monthly Magazine (2020)
- Top Women Attorneys in Southern California, Los Angeles Magazine (2017, 2018)
- Woman Leader in the Law, ALM (2018, 2019)
- 35 and Under Young Entrepreneurs, Minnesota Business Magazine (2017)
- Minnesota Cup High-Tech division Semifinalist (2016)
- Southern California Up-And-Coming Woman Attorney, Los Angeles Magazine (2016)
- Avvo: Top Attorney (2014, 2015)
- Avvo: Client’s Choice (2012, 2015)
- Avvo: Top Contributor (2013)
- Co-Chair of Early Dispute Resolution Committee, American Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section
- American Bar Association International Section
- American Law and Economics Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making
- Orange County Bar Association: ADR, Intellectual Property, Business Litigation, Labor & Employment, and International Law sections
- Minnesota State Bar Association: Business Law Section, ADR, Computer & Technology, Labor & Employment sections
- USC Alumni Association
- UCLA Alumni Association
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- BYU Alumni Association
Community/Pro Bono Activities
- Mediation And Restorative Services, mediator (2020 – Present)
- Minority Women Lawyers Association, leader (2012 – Present)
- EES School Site Council President (2019-2020)
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making, poster judge (2016)
- Minnesota Closely Held Business Conference, planning committee member (2015)
- Minnesota Board of Law Examiners, bar exam essay grader (2014)
- Community Mediation and Restorative Services, Inc., mediator (2013 – Present)
- American Bar Association Law School Regional Negotiations Competition, judge (2013)
- Tubman Family Alliance, Pro Bono Safety Project, attorney (2011-2013)
- Volunteer Lawyers Network, Conciliation Court Clinic, attorney (2011-2013)
- Orange County Bar Association/KOCE Call-a-Lawyer community event, attorney (2009)